The New Tech Network (NTN) Slack Community is a space created to shorten the distance between members of New Tech Network making connecting and communicating with one another more accessible.
Slack is the platform we are using to host our community space.
Within the NTN Slack Community members can:
- connect with one another
- share ideas around teaching practices
- ask for feedback
- celebrate positive things happening in their school
- share resources
- seek support on challenging ideas
- build community
- and so much more
We want the NTN Slack Community to be a fun, pleasant, and harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, age, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately or face account suspension or deletion.
For questions or to report any issues, please contact our NTN Slack Community admins at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be kind and brave
- Practice active listening
- Take an inquiry stance
- Seek out alternative points of view
- Lean into each other’s humanity
- Reply to a post using a thread
- Don’t have anything specific to say? Show support by using emoji reactions
- Stick to the channel topic
- If you want to direct a coworker or a friend to a topic, you can tag that person within the channel or in reply
- Use direct messages for focused conversation
- Before you ask, use the search feature
- Not sure where to post? Use the #general channel
Click here for more detailed community agreements.
The NTN Slack Community is an exclusive community for members of NTN (which are staff members of any school that partners with New Tech Network) that pay for access to content and community within their NTN contract and NTN staff.
Feel free to talk about and discuss the NTN Slack Community with whomever you like!
Please be mindful that things you say are publicly available to over 8000 teachers and school leaders from our member schools. While we expect members to honor the confidentiality of this space, we cannot guarantee that they will do so, nor can we guarantee that every member’s login credentials and logged in devices are secure. Sharing of any student information is strictly prohibited in our Slack Community and please exercise caution and refrain from sharing sensitive information that could harm you or others if it became public. We encourage you to read through your district’s social media policies in order to stay in compliance with district requirements.
In most situations, content in the NTN Slack Community will be retained indefinitely, but the NTN Slack Community is not responsible for retaining any information. New Tech Network reserves the right to delete or remove individual messages, file uploads, discussion threads, and topical channels at its discretion. Channels created by NTN for events or short-term projects may be archived once completed. The NTN Slack Community should not be viewed as permanent storage and any desired content should be downloaded to a storage device.
New Tech Network may, at any time and at their discretion, remove any content deemed inappropriate or not contributing to a healthy community conversation on education topics. Content that may be considered inappropriate include, but is not limited to:
- Content not clearly related to education
- Content promoting the sale of products
- Content of a religious nature
- Content that is generally considered racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise promoting non-inclusive ideology.
- Content promoting or condoning acts of violence
Please respect the space we have created for educators to talk about teaching and learning. Repeated posting of inappropriate content may result in being removed from the Community.
New Tech Network may, at any time and at their discretion, remove any content deemed harassing or offensive. Content that may be considered harassment includes:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, mental illness, physical appearance, body size, race or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they're not appropriate
- Simulated physical context (textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the NTN Slack Community admins at email@example.com. They will aim to respond within 24 hours.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. We will not name harassment victims without affirmative consent.
Participants displaying harassing behavior will be asked to stop. The admin(s) may take action they deem appropriate in their sole discretion, up to and including account suspension or expulsion from the NTN Slack Community.
Other Behavior not Tolerated:
The following activities will result in the immediate deletion of your account:
- Sharing content that is directly threatening someone. Do not threaten to harm another person or someone related to another person in any capacity. Do not tell other people you will hurt or kill them. Do not share or threaten to share personal information of another user - this includes but is not limited to home address, phone number, email, social security number, and photos. Respect other people's desire for privacy.
- Doing anything illegal. We will take immediate action if you do any of the following: violate any applicable laws or regulations, or promote or encourage any illegal activity.
- Sharing content related to minors that is sexually suggestive or violent. Do not share or post links to images that depict minors or underage individuals engaged in violent, sexually suggestive, pornographic, shameful, or otherwise inappropriate situations.
- Sharing or linking to content with intent to shame or degrade another individual. Do not share sexually explicit content of other people without their consent. Do not share or promote sharing of revenge porn.
- Distributing viruses. Do not engage in or promote phishing activities. Do not threaten another user with digital harm including but not limited to viruses, hacking, and spying.
- Attempting to steal another user’s account.
- Selling any illegal products or services, or products that promote or encourage discrimination.
Credits and License:
This code of conduct is based on Annalee Flower Horne's Sample Slack Code of Conduct, which is in turn based on Geek Feminism's Community Anti-Harassment Policy. We have adapted the Sample Slack Code of Conduct for our own use under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.